Monday 19 August 2013

Knitted skirt

I tried to come up with a better blog title. Honest.
It didn't happen.

The summer holidays rumble on like an inevitable freight train. I may (very slightly) be bored completely to death by them. However, knitting is my salvation.

I've been wanting to knit a skirt for a while, and since I also have recently been impulse buying wool in yarn shops I have nice pretty wool to play with.
Pattern is Lanesplitter skirt from Knitty. It demands a specific yarn (which I don't have) but after a fairly short inspection of the mathematics and construction of the skirt I worked out that actually it doesn't make a difference. Rather - it makes a difference to colourways and hang of the material. However, provided you like the colourway of the yarn you use, and that you use something with sufficient weight that it will hang vaguely properly, everything will in fact be fine and dandy.

I used Ultimate blend colours of Patons Colour Works Aran yarn. Which is not wool - mostly. 25% wool. Whatever. I never have cared much on that distinction.

A whole load of people on ravelry hate the side seam, but I quite like it. I'm not sure why, but that's fine with me.

This is also one of the very few projects I have actually blocked properly. Between that and paying close attention when inserting the elastic for the waistband it actually fits very well.

In the mean time, I have also decided that garments you can try on as you go are the right way to go. Accordingly I have begun a top down cardigan, which doubles as an interesting project, and research for a long cardigan that I sort of promised my mum I would create for her and haven't done a single thing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment